Thursday, April 25, 2013

Let Teachers from Around the World Teach Your Class

At the ECIS Technology conference, I attended a workshop on the flipped classroom and was fully intrigued.  In a flipped classroom, all or some of the homework is a video or online simulation that “teaches” what you would normally teach in class.  Then, in class the kids focus on activities, projects and practice problems that would generally be homework.  This way, there is nobody sitting at home stuck on how to figure out a math problem, or even worse practicing doing it wrong.  Stop by my blog – Raki’s Rad Resources to see how I’m using the flipped classroom model at my class at the International School of Morocco.

One of the things that I  like most about using the flipped classroom model is that I am able to bring in “guest teachers” from around the world to help explain things to my students.  I have the option of creating videos for them (using apps like Explain Everything and Educreations), but there are also SO  many videos already available, that I have found what I need for the rest of this school year without making any myself.  The majority of the videos my students are watching have come from the Khan Academy, which is an online library of over 3,000 videos on tons and tons of subjects.  Other good sources of online videos include: Knowmia, Engvid, Teacher Tube, EDTed, NeoK12, and Math Playground.  Each of these videos is created by someone who might explain it slightly differently than I would.  So, if a student isn’t getting it with my explanation or Khan Academy’s explanation, I have a plethora of other “guest teachers” to lean on and use their explanations to help my students understand.  Here is one the video my students watched for homework on Tuesday:

 

Division 2: Dividing into larger numbers. Introduction to long division and remainders.

Have you ever thought about flipping your classrooms and allowing “guest teachers” from around the world to help you out?

Heidi Raki of Raki's Rad Resources

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. So strange to come across this post today! Just this morning I was trying to think of ideas to connect with a classroom or a friendly person to in some way enhance our 4th quarter Latin America geo class! Will check out these links from here in Idaho! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover